Happy Friday everyone!

When we last left our sad little settee she was moping in the garage, trying to suck in her gut and look a bit more attractive in the poor garage light. However I have no sympathy. I'm hard as nails I tell you. Someone needs to be honest - Sette, you are ugly.


But she's got a good personality (aka comfortable). And as anyone who has watched Can't Buy Me Love, She's Out Of Control or any o80s ugly duckling movie knows, settee's looks are nothing a day at the spa and a shopping spree montage can't fix.  Cue the montage music!

First spa treatment is piping removal (pretty similar to an eyebrow wax). This proved really easy as there were already a few spots that were frayed and just begging to be pulled. If only the whole project were this easy.


Next I dove into removing the fabric, and no fewer than 8,000 staples. Too bad there aren't any DIY projects on Pinterest using old upholstery staples. I'd rock that project out with my extensive supplies.


Even though I'm still on the fence about upholstering this myself or sending it out to a professional, I've read enough tutorials to know that its in my best interest to keep all pieces of fabric in tact so they can be used to make templates for the new fabric.

So we were very careful to keep all pieces in one piece


and label each piece so we (or the upholster) would know what goes were.


Finally I removed all the fabric and batting from the back and then took a shower. I knew this couch was old but...yuck. 


Proof of how gross we're talking here - these lovely treasures were found in the back behind the batting.

yes, that is a cigarette and vintage lip smackers

So now she is several pounds lighter, and her horrible nehru jacket is safe in a bag.


Settee, you already look better!


Next up - sanding and refinishing/painting. I think that's going to be an 11th hour decision.

What do you guys think - do you think I can tackle this upholstery job myself? Keep in mind, I've never upholstered anything. Ever. (But when has that stopped me before?) Anyone need some old school Lip Smacker for your collection?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top